PATHWAYS FROM THE CULTURE OF ADDICTION TO THE CULTURE OF RECOVERY
William L. White
"Bill White has truly written an interesting 'Travel Guide' to the worlds of addiction and recovery...This may be the best and most comprehensive book written on the subject of chemical dependency." - Tim Titus, Minnesota Chemical Dependence Association
This book portrays the movement from addiction to recovery as a pilgrimage between two social worlds. The first section, The Culture of Addiction, looks at the tremendous psychosocial forces that contribute to addiction. The second section, The Culture of Recovery, explores the culture which promotes individual recovery from addiction. Both sections work at explaining how an individual can make the journey from one culture to another.
In this guided tour readers will:
- Learn How Elements of Cultures Can Be Used to Empower or Sabotage Treatment
- Visit the Various Tribal Groups Within Each Culture
- Meet the Cast of Characters that Make Up Each Culture From the High Priests to the Elders to the Medicine Men
- Investigate Core Activities that Drive Daily Life in Both Cultures
- Explore Milestones that Characterize Careers in these Cultures
The ideas set forth in this book are graphically illustrated with anecdotes and stories drawn from the author's clinical and consultation experiences. This book is a journey that will challenge, inform and enrich the reader.